Data acquisition and hydrographic software compatibility
Merlin's universal interface, compatible with major hydrographic data acquisition software packages, ensures operator familiarity and ease of use.
Compatible with the industry's best hydrographic software
The world's leading hydrographic software companies have fully integrated Merlin lidar technology into their workflow.
Merlin is already compatible with the software you own
Renishaw has worked closely with the world's leading hydrographic software companies to integrate Merlin into their workflow. As a result Merlin is fully operational with the following major industry-standard software packages:
- NaviScan and Kuda sonar and laser data acquisition software from EIVA.
- QINSy (Quality Integrated Navigation System) hydrographic data acquisition software from QPS.
- Teledyne PDS software for hydrographic survey and dredging operations (version 184.108.40.206 and newer)
- HYSWEEP® multi-beam collection and editing software from HYPACK®. Fully operational in the HYSWEEP_15.0.18 version of HYPACK® 15.
Merlin's user-friendly interface helps you work quicker
All four software packages can support the deployment of two connected Merlin units in a single project, with the option to start/stop the rotation of the scanning laser module and set it to rotate at 5, 10, 15 or 20 Hz. A real-time display of the scanning laser module can also be set up to view the laser data coverage that is collected.
Segment your data according to project requirements
Basic driver functional tools enable the laser data to be segmented in terms of the range and the angular field of view, depending on the project requirement.
Merlin diagnostic software
Merlin is supplied with its own diagnostic tool, which can be used to set up the lidar sensor within your existing infrastructure, including port numbers and IP addresses.
The tool, which is easily integrated with your existing surveying technology, also enables you to select and test a timing source, and carry out troubleshooting.
What can you do with Merlin data?
The unique challenges of surveying marine environments include avoiding hazardous natural features, such as cliffs, rocks and reefs, as well as unpredictable weather conditions. Merlin's 250 m range enables accurate data acquisition from a safe distance, ensuring crew and vessel safety are paramount.
The many uses of Merlin's high-quality 3D data include:
- Comparing old and new information to monitor coastal change
- Creating navigation charts without venturing into hazardous coastal zones
- Using historic data to update risk management and flood models to predict future events
- Collecting detailed information safely and quickly from high-traffic waterways
- Asset inventory mapping
- Route planning (clearance surveys of structures and vegetation)
- Volume calculations of dredged material
Use Merlin for effective and accurate data acquisition
Merlin uses time-of-flight laser technology to produce a detailed 3D dataset of the environment above the waterline. The dataset consists of millions of points that have each been recorded at an exact time, a specific distance from the sensor and in a particular position in space.