VIONiC™ incremental encoder system with RESM rotary (angle) ring
- Digital output direct from the readhead
- Readhead size: 35 x 13.5 x 10 mm
- Resolutions to 20 nm
- Speed to 4 400 rpm
- Ultra-low Sub-Divisional Error (SDE): typically <±30 nm
- Optical IN‑TRAC™ reference mark
- No separate interface required
- Advanced Diagnostic Tool for easy fault finding, challenging installations and servicing
- Low profile ring with large internal diameter for easy integration
- High dirt immunity
What is VIONiC?
VIONiC integrates Renishaw's filtering optics design and interpolation technology to create a high performance, super-compact, digital all-in-one incremental open optical encoder. It offers resolutions down to 20 nm and a wide range of configurations to optimise the speed for your motion control system. VIONiC systems are quick and simple to install with wide set-up tolerances and automatic calibration. VIONiC's dynamic signal processing gives improved signal stability with Sub-Divisional Error of typically <±30 nm to help realise superior motion control performance.
The Advanced Diagnostics Tool aids fault finding and servicing, and assists optimisation of system setup for challenging installations.
What is RESM ring?
RESM is a one-piece stainless steel ring with 20 µm pitch incremental graduations marked directly on the periphery, featuring the IN-TRAC™ optical reference marks. Two versions are available in a wide range of sizes (Ø52 mm to Ø550 mm): ‘A' section rings, which offer an impressive installed accuracy and feature a taper mount system which reduces the need for highly toleranced machined parts and eliminates eccentricity; ‘B' section thin rings, which have low inertia and mass, are also available. Both 'A' and 'B' section rings have a large internal diameter for flexible integration. The non-contact format eliminates backlash, shaft wind-up (torsion) and other mechanical hysteresis errors that are inherent in traditional enclosed encoders.
Why choose this encoder system ?
All purpose digital encoder system
VIONiC is the encoder of choice because it combines high speed interpolation with impressive metrology performance making it suitable for even the most demanding applications. A wide range of encoder configurations are available so that the user can optimise the speed and resolution of their system depending on their motion control requirements. Furthermore VIONiC works with both linear and rotary scales accross a range of accuracies. VIONiC is quick and easy to calibrate, meaning it is suitable for volume production.
Easy fault finding and servicing
The Advanced Diagnostic Tool is available for comprehensive encoder feedback . This can be used for challenging installlations and fault finding. It provides:
- Remote calibration functions
- Signal optimisation over axis length
- Readhead pitch indication
- Limit and reference mark indicators
- DRO and lissajous outputs.
High dirt immunity
High tolerance to dirt, scratches and greasy fingerprints and speeds of 12 m/s mean that VIONiC is ideal for more challenging applications. Furthermore, the non-contact RESM operates without friction or wear ensuring excellent reliability.
DSi (Dual Signal interface)
Renishaw's DSi combines the incremental signals from two VIONiC readheads on a RESM ring (REST ring for partial rotation applications) to compensate for the effect of bearing wander and eliminates odd error harmonics, including eccentricity, to give total installed accuracy of typically ±2.0 arc seconds.
Optional Advanced Diagnostic Tool
The Advanced Diagnostic Tool (ADT) includes user software that allows control and monitoring of VIONiC's set-up and calibration routines. This set-up tool is ideal for factory production-line installation as it allows remote, advanced calibration features.
Find out more about the Advanced Diagnostic Tool.
RESM: one-piece low profile stainless steel ring. Standard ‘A' section with tapered internal diameter or low inertia ‘B' section rings available
Also available for partial rotation applications as REST
Readhead size (LxHxW)
35 mm x 13.5 mm x 10 mm
Ring outer diameter
52 mm to 550 mm. For larger custom sizes, contact Renishaw
8 192 to 86 400 (depending on ring size)
RESM: single IN-TRAC reference mark ring
REST: two reference mark ring for partial rotation applications
±3.97 to ±0.38 arc seconds (depending on ring diameter)
±4.20 to ±0.40 arc seconds (depending on ring diameter)
4 400 rpm (for 52 mm diameter ring)
(See data sheet for details)
Sub-Divisional Error (SDE)
Typically <±30 nm
Dynamic signal control
Real time signal conditioning including Auto Gain Control (AGC), Auto Balance Control (ABC) and Auto Offset Control (AOC) for optimised performance across a range of operating conditions
5 μm to 20 nm resolution
(See data sheet for details of angular resolutions)
0.5 m, 1 m, 1.5 m, 2 m and 3 m cable lengths with D-type connectors (9 and 15 pin) or circular in-line connector (12 pin)
5 V -5%/+10%, typically <200 mA fully terminated
100 m/s2 max @ 55 Hz to 2 000 Hz
500 m/s2, 11 ms, ½ sine, 3 axes
Operating temperature (system)
0 °C to +70 °C
* System accuracy is graduation error plus SDE. Graduation accuracy is the maximum difference between the angle measured by a single readhead and the true rotation of the encoder as graduated. Application disturbances such as eccentricity are not included.
Refer to data sheets for full details.
- 3D model: VIONiC™ and VIONiCplus™ readhead
- 3D model: Advanced Diagnostic Tool (ADT)
- Installation drawing: RESM angle encoder
- 3D model: RESx 52 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 57 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 75 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 100 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 103 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 104 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 150 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 200 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 206 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 209 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 255 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 300 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 350 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 413 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 417 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 550 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 75 mm B section ring
- 3D model: RESx 100 mm B section ring
- 3D model: RESx 115 mm B section ring
- 3D model: RESx 150 mm B section ring
- 3D model: RESx 165 mm B section ring
- 3D model: RESx 200 mm B section ring
How it works
VIONiC features the third generation of Renishaw's unique filtering optics that average the contributions from many scale periods and effectively filter out non-periodic features such as dirt. The nominally square-wave scale pattern is also filtered to leave a pure sinusoidal fringe field at the detector. Here, a multiple finger structure is employed, fine enough to produce photocurrents in the form of four symmetrically phased signals. These are combined to remove DC components and produce sine and cosine signal outputs with high spectral purity and low offset while maintaining bandwidth to beyond 500 kHz.
Fully integrated advanced dynamic signal conditioning, Auto Gain , Auto Balance and Auto Offset Controls combine to ensure ultra-low Sub-Divisional Error (SDE) of typically <±30 nm.
This evolution of filtering optics, combined with carefully-selected electronics, provide incremental signals with wide bandwidth achieving a maximum speed of 12 m/s with the lowest positional jitter (noise) of any encoder in its class. Interpolation is within the readhead, with fine resolution versions being further augmented by additional noise-reducing electronics to achieve jitter of just 1.6 nm RMS.
The IN-TRAC reference mark is fully-integrated in the incremental scale and is detected by a split photodetector within the readhead. As the diagram shows, the reference mark split detector is embedded directly into the centre of the incremental channel linear photodiode array ensuring greater immunity from yaw-dephasing. This unique arrangement also benefits from an automatic calibration routine that electronically phases the reference mark and optimises the incremental signals.