XL-80 laser system
The Renishaw XL-80 laser interferometer offers the ultimate in high performance measurement and calibration for motion systems, including CMMs and machine tools.
Improve your business performance with XL-80
Fast, accurate and extremely portable, it is no surprise the XL-80 system is the best selling calibration laser. Together with advanced software solutions and superior performance, the XL-80 can significantly improve your business performance.
Renishaw has been designing, manufacturing and supplying laser systems for over 25 years. The XL-80 builds on that experience to deliver a real advance in system performance and operational benefits for users.
Portability and ease of use
The size of the XL-80 laser and XC-80 compensator means that a complete linear system can fit into a ‘wheelie-case' and weighs only 12 kg. Add the tripod, in its own fabric case and you have a truly portable solution to machine metrology. Both the laser and compensator connect to your PC via USB so there is no separate interface required and no complicated set-up to worry about.
Accuracy and dynamic performance
Linear measurement accuracy is an assured ±0.5 ppm thanks to a precision stabilised laser source and accurate environmental compensation. Readings can be taken at up to 50 kHz, with a maximum linear measurement speed of 4 m/s and a linear resolution of 1 nm, even at maximum speed. All measurement options (not just linear) are based on interferometric measurements, giving confidence in the accuracy of the data recorded.
Quality of design, build and technical support are Renishaw's hallmarks. State of the art facilities and quality assured production that's vital whether you're dealing in microinches or nanometres. A standard 3 year warranty is evidence of our commitment to you, alongside a worldwide support network.
Ease of use
The XL-80 is quick and easy to set-up and use, reducing waiting time and increasing available measurement time, whilst still retaining the accuracy benefits of a pure interferometry based system.
XL-80 laser system overview
Key XL system components are a compact laser head (XL-80), an independent environmental compensator system (XC-80) and a comprehensive and powerful software suite. Together with the measurement optics, they form a highly accurate measurement and analysis system. All components can be stored and transported in one of the optional custom cases.
XL-80 laser unit
The XL-80 laser produces an extremely stable laser beam, with a wavelength that is traceable back to national and international standards.
Features and benefits
- Laser frequency stability ±0.05 ppm over 1 year and ±0.02 ppm over 1 hour is achieved by dynamic thermal control of the laser tube length to within a few nanometres.
- Linear measurement accuracy ±0.5 ppm over the whole environmental range ie, from 0 ºC - 40 ºC (32 ºF - 104 ºF) and 650 mbar - 1150 mbar. Readings can be taken at up to 50 kHz, with a maximum linear measurement speed of 4 m/s and a linear resolution of 1 nm; even at maximum speed.
- Integrated USB means there is no requirement for a separate laser-to-PC interface.
- LED status lights indicate the laser status and signal strength, providing a convenient alternative to the software's “on-screen” indicators.
- Switchable between standard (40 m) and long (80 m) range modes.
- Analogue I/O port allows for analogue signal output and a trigger signal input.
- Warm-up time is less than 6 minutes.
- External, switch mode power supply ensures 90 V - 264 V flexibility in input voltage.
- LaserXL™ software includes modules for linear, angular, rotary axis, flatness, straightness and squareness measurements as well as a dynamic measurement capability.
In accordance with (IEC) EN60825-1, Renishaw XL-80 lasers are Class 2 lasers and safety goggles are not required. Always refer to the system manual for safety details before operating the system for the first time.