Universal datum sphere
The Renishaw universal datum sphere can be built to various heights, inclined over at 45 degrees and swivel in any axial orientation.
A quick and easy adjustment allows to set ball stem over a wide range of probe datuming angles. This enables datuming above, centrally and below the ball. The hand adjustable pivot joint enables stem rotation through 360° in the horizontal plane, and ±45° in the vertical plane.
The datum sphere kits are available in five sizes, with a datum ball Ø12 mm, Ø19 mm, Ø25 mm, Ø3/4 in and Ø1 in respectively.
Various pillar extensions, adaptors and CMM fixing studs are also available.
Mounting and positioning the universal datum sphere
Mounting the sphere:
- Position the base of the datum sphere over a tapped hole on the CMM table.
- Pass the fixing stud through the base centre hole and screw firmly into the CMM table, using the ‘C' spanner.
- Screw the pivot pillar assembly firmly onto stud / base.
- Finally screw the datum sphere into the pivot ball at the top of the pillar, and tighten with the ‘C' spanner.
Positioning the sphere:
- Slacken off the locking collar and move to the required position by gripping the ball stem.
- Hold the ball in position and tighten the locking collar firmly by hand, taking care not to overtighten.