Work experience weeks
Renishaw's work experience weeks provide students with an ideal opportunity to discover what it's like to work at a world-leading engineering company.
Applications for 2021 virtual experience are now closed
This year we are running our work experience virtually.
Virtual work experience
We are trying to replicate as closely as possible the experience students would get if they were able to attend work experience with us on site. Unlike most companies who offer a job shadowing experience, at Renishaw all our schemes are project based, allowing students to get a real understanding of what working life is really like.
This opportunity is suitable for students in years 10 to 13 or the equivalent and preference will be given to students applying from schools local to our Gloucestershire New Mills site and our Miskin site in South Wales. We may be able to run a face to face follow up half-day event for students that successfully complete the work experience with us when COVID restrictions lift.
To encourage more diversity in Engineering, we have also decided to make one of the weeks for girls only, the first Easter week (6th – 9th April) if you are female and applying, you are welcome to apply for that week or any of the other weeks that will be mixed gender.
What will students gain from their week at Renishaw?
- The opportunity to work on and complete a project
- Develop your problem-solving skills
- Learn how to work more effectively in a team
- Develop your presentation skills
- Learn more about an innovative engineering company and the career opportunities we have for young people
The work experience will last 3.5 days and majority of the sessions will take place during school holidays:
- February Half Term - Monday 15th - Thursday 18th Feb
- Easter Week 1 - Tuesday 6th - Friday 9th April (GIRLS ONLY)
- Easter Week 2 - Monday 12th - Thursday 15th April
- May Half Term - Tuesday 1st - Friday 4th June
- Last Week of Summer Term - Monday 19th - Thursday 22nd July - as this is during term time, please seek prior approval from your school or college if you are in year 10 or 12
Before you apply
Before you can apply there are a few conditions that you need to satisfy in order to take part. You will need:
- A laptop or a computer with a webcam and internet access (if this will be an issue for you please contact email@example.com)
- Access to Microsoft Office is preferred but not essential, the sessions will take place on Microsoft Teams, which can be downloaded or accessed via a web browser.
- To be available between the hours of 8.30 – 4.30 (exact timings tbc) on all of the days specified on the date of work experience week you choose to participate in.
- A quiet place to work and join online meetings
- Enthusiasm and desire to learn more about working in engineering
YOU WILL BE EXPECTED TO JOIN TEAM MEETINGS EVERYDAY AND PARTICIPATE ACTIVELY WITH THE PROJECT AND YOUR TEAM MEMBERS
I found last week very useful, as I learnt a great deal about the engineering industry and career paths I could take within that job sector. It has shown me that engineering is the best path for me and also that I thoroughly enjoy working on these types of projects.