Board of directors and company secretary
Hover or tap the directors to see their summary bio below the photo.
Sir David McMurtry (73)
CBE, RDI, FRS, FREng, CEng, FIMechE
Chairman and Chief Executive
- Formerly employed by Rolls-Royce plc, Bristol, for 17 years, latterly holding the positions of Deputy Chief Designer and Assistant Chief of Engine Design of all Rolls-Royce engines manufactured at Filton, Bristol.
- Invented the original measuring probe in the early 1970s and co-founded Renishaw with John Deer in 1973.
- In addition to his role as Chairman and Chief Executive, Sir David also has responsibility for Group technology and is Chair of the Nomination committee.
John Deer (75)
- Trained as a mechanical engineer and worked for Rolls-Royce plc, Bristol, for 14 years.
- Co-founded Renishaw with Sir David McMurtry in 1973. Managing Director of Renishaw from 1974 to 1989, primarily involved in the commercial direction of the Group, with particular emphasis on marketing and the establishment of the Group's wholly-owned subsidiaries.
- Responsible for group manufacturing and Chair of the overseas marketing subsidiaries.
Allen Roberts FCA (64)
Group Finance Director
- Qualified as a chartered accountant in 1972 with Peat, Marwick, Mitchell & Co. before joining Renishaw in 1979.
- Appointed to the Board of Renishaw plc in 1980.
- Heads group finance, business systems and Wotton Travel Ltd.
- Allen has the healthcare regulatory and quality assurance functions reporting into him.
Ben Taylor (64)
Assistant Chief Executive
- Before joining Renishaw Inc as President in 1985, Ben was the Director of Engineering at Sheffield Measurement, USA.
- Appointed to the Board of Renishaw plc in 1987. Responsible for group marketing, international operations, human resources and group quality.
- Ben also reports to the Board on corporate social responsibility matters.
Carol Chesney (50)
- Chair of the Audit committee and member of the Remuneration and Nomination committees.
- Appointed to the Board of Renishaw plc in October 2012.
- A chartered accountant who worked at Arthur Andersen for seven years in audit services.
- Worked for some time in the group accounts function at English China Clays plc before joining Halma plc, where she is now Company Secretary, having also been Group Financial Controller.
Geoff McFarland (45)
Group Engineering Director
- Graduated with a BEng in computer aided mechanical engineering at Heriot-Watt University, where he subsequently worked for several years as a research associate.
- After working briefly in the high-volume manufacturing electronic sector, joined Renishaw in 1994 and appointed to the Board of Renishaw plc in 2002.
- Heads the group engineering function and is also responsible for group IP and patents.
- Geoff is a non-executive director of Delcam plc.
John Jeans (63)
- Member of the Audit, Remuneration and Nomination committees.
- Appointed to the Board of Renishaw plc in April 2013.
- Currently chair of the Council of Cardiff University and Imanova (an imaging research partnership between three London universities and the Medical Research Council). In addition he chairs the board of MRC Technology and is a non-executive director of the Alliance Medical Group. He is also a board member of the University and College Employers Association.
- John also chairs the Technology Strategy Board's stratified medicine advisory board, is a Steering Board member of the HealthTech and Medicines Knowledge Transfer Network and is an advisor to the University of Manchester's venture fund.
Dr David Grant (65)
CBE, FREng, FLSW, CEng, FIET
- Member of the Nomination and Audit committees, Chair of the Remuneration committee.
- Appointed to the Board of Renishaw plc in April 2012.
- Currently senior independent director of IQE plc, non-executive director of the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory, chair of STEMNET and member of the governing board of the Technology Strategy Board.
- Was Vice-Chancellor of Cardiff University from 2001 to 2012 and previously held leadership positions at Dowty Group and GEC.
Norma Tang (49)
Head of Legal and Company Secretary
- Joined Renishaw in 2001.
- Qualified as a solicitor in 1988 and since then has specialised in company and commercial legal matters, advising business clients and as an in-house counsel.
- Heads the legal and company secretariat function, advising the Board on legal compliance and governance matters.