The laser-based DP position reference system that provides enhanced vessel reliability and ensures the safety of operations across multiple vessels.
The field-proven laser position reference system
Fanbeam pioneered the use of laser technology for dynamic positioning, supporting safer, faster and more accurate DP operations. Now, building on our 20 years' experience working closely with fleet operators, Fanbeam 5 offers our most reliable and robust sensor to date.
The laser position reference sensor of choice
The development programme behind Fanbeam has enabled Renishaw to deliver an intelligent DP position reference system, which provides reliability and accuracy for a range of applications and environmental conditions.
- Highly complementary to differential global positioning systems (DGPS), which can degrade when close to larger structures
- Easy to install and quick to mobilise
- Provides independent redundancy against other position reference systems (PRS)
- Cost effective, using inexpensive passive reflectors
- Fastest positional update rate on the market (typically, at least two readings per second)
- Minimum of 150 pulses per degree of horizontal rotation provides superior signal return from reflectors
- Easy to operate, with thousands of dynamic positioning operators (DPOs) already familiar with the system
- Recognised by classification bodies and international standards
Introducing the intuitive Fanbeam® Controller 4.0
Discover the advanced features of the new user-friendly Fanbeam Controller 4.0. Find out how this software and PC will enable vessel DPOs to perform safer more efficient DP operations.
Fanbeam 5 applications
Fanbeam's accuracy, reliability and ease of use make it ideal for a wide range of offshore projects, from bridge construction and windfarm installation through to platform supply.
The following vessel types have successfully adopted Fanbeam as their primary or secondary PRS:
- Construction and multi-purpose support vessels
- Anchor-handling tug supply vessels
- Dredging and rock-dumping vessels
- Heavy-lift construction semi-subs and dive support vessels
- Windfarm construction vessels
- Emergency towing vessels
- Well-stimulation vessels
- Platform supply vessels and crew supply vessels
- Accommodation floatels
- Shuttle tankers and FPSO
Designed according to two key principles
Fanbeam 5 is engineered to support DPOs based on the following Renishaw standards:
Control: DPOs should be supported by clear, intelligent, quick-to-operate, pre-configurable software, which offers the peace of mind of automation, alerts and performance indicators.
Responsiveness: Since conditions at sea are unpredictable, and no two operations are the same, DPOs must have the ability to quickly and simply control laser tilt, target acquisition, filters and all other aspects of sensor control.
Designed to support fleets of all sizes
Our sales and service teams understand your business and what drives successful DP operations. Whether you're considering your first laser-based PRS and require more information, or if you are familiar with older Fanbeam models and would like to know what Renishaw now offers in terms of support and upgrades, please contact us using one of the contact options below.
Better target identification
The Fanbeam 5 laser sensor is mounted over the working end of a vessel. The sensor emits invisible laser pulses, which bounce off specially designed reflectors that are mounted on the rig or other installation. These pulses are received back into the Fanbeam sensor.
- Personnel on deck and reflective surfaces are not a problem for Fanbeam 5, as the Fanbeam Controller 4.0 software uses advanced algorithms to identify and reject false observations.
- Operators can pre-program range cut-offs for observations, so that anything out of range is filtered.
- On-screen indicators warn of potentially false observations.
- Our range of reflectors provide accuracy in a variety of conditions: our tube reflectors offer low-cost 360° coverage for short-range operations, while our prism clusters provide reliable positioning at longer ranges up to 2000 m.
- Auto-level filtering means settings adjust automatically to allow for changing conditions.
- Operators can tilt the laser during operations, allowing for fine tuning at any time.
Support tailored to you
Renishaw has the global scale and resources to provide fleets of all sizes and requirements with a range of sales and support options.
- Multi-vessel pricing options to suit any business
- Cost-effective plug-and-play upgrade options to enable vessels with older Fanbeam models to modernise their system quickly and at low cost
- Fully equipped, approved global service, support and repair centres for expert worldwide support
- A fleet spare package to minimise downtime during maintenance and servicing
- A Repair by Exchange model that keeps your fleet working
Brochure: Fanbeam 5
The Fanbeam 5 position reference system (PRS) uses accurate time-of-flight laser technology to determine vessel position relative to custom reflectors, which can be fixed to offshore rigs, installations or other vessels. Fanbeam data is communicated to the vessel’s dynamic positioning (DP) system, which controls the thrusters that are used to maintain vessel position during operations.
Data sheet: Fanbeam 5
Fanbeam's robust design and precision engineering result in a highly accurate and reliable laser Dynamic Positioning (DP) position reference system.