RCU10 real-time quadrature compensator
Compensation systems for real-time quadrature positional feedback.
When any laser interferometer system is used in a non-vacuum environment, some form of environmental compensation is required to maintain accuracy under varying environmental conditions. The principle of interferometry is dependent on the wavelength of the laser light, a figure which fractionally varies depending on the refractive index of the air through which it travels.
Environmental changes of ±1 °C in air temperature, ±3.3 mbar in air pressure, or 50% variance in relative humidity would generate a 1 ppm variance in laser wavelength and resulting measurements.
The input and output parameters for an RCU10 unit are configured with the Renishaw Configuration Software (RCU-CS). This can be downloaded from the link at the bottom of this page.
Features and benefits
- Accuracy - refractive index compensation for laser encoders using air pressure and temperature sensors, improves accuracy to within ±1 ppm.
- Yield enhancement - thermal expansion compensation of workpiece and machine structures, using material temperature sensors, dramatically improves process repeatability.
- Flexibility - RCU10 can also be used for compensation with many other laser and scale encoders that provide digital quadrature feedback signals.
Configuring RCU10 systems
The following options should be considered when defining your RCU10 system:
- RCU10 compensation units are available with or without an integral pressure sensor (RCU10-PX-XX and RCU10-XX-XX respectively)
- For multi-axis systems, up to six RCU10s can be linked via a high-speed serial communications link. If used as part of a multi-axis system, only one RCU10-PX-XX is required.
- Air temperature sensors
- Material temperature sensors
To determine the part number of the compensation system required for your individual application, simply enter your requirements into the grey cells of the RCU10 part number generator. It will automatically calculate the necessary system part number which can then be used to request a quotation or place an order.
|Features||Refractive index compensation|
Material expansion compensation
|Data format||Digital - RS422 quadrature|
Analogue - 1 Vpp sine / cosine
|Resolution||Digital - variable to 10 nm|
Analogue - variable to 20 µm
|Velocity||Up to 5 m/s|
* plus the greater of 3 input counts and 1 output count for digital outputs and a further velocity dependant error for some analogue outputs.
Optional extrasA number of optional extras are also available for use with the RCU10 real-time quadrature compensation unit.
|A-8014-0670||Serial / USB adaptor|
|RCU10-DB-XX||Sensor distribution box|
|RCU10-AC-X5||Armoured sensor cable (5 m length)|
|RCU10-AT-XX||Air temperature transmitter|
|RCU10-MT-XX||Material temperature transmitter|
Software download: RCU CS v2.0.5
RCU CS is the RCU10 configuration software. It allows all the parameters and operational modes to be configured before the RCU10 may be used. It also provides an operational display to monitor the compensation process, environment and error status.