SiGNUM™ incremental encoder system with RESM rotary (angle) ring
- Serial protocol available: FANUC
- Readhead size: 36 x 16.5 x 14.8 mm
- Resolutions to 5 nm
- Speed to 4 591 rpm
- Simultaneous analogue and digital outputs (Analogue outputs available from all Si interfaces)
- Sub-Divisional Error (SDE) : typically <±30 nm
- IN-TRAC™ reference mark
- Sealed to IP64 offering excellent dirt immunity
- Low profile ring with large internal diameter for easy integration
- Operating temperature up to +85 °C
- Optional set-up and diagnostic software
What is SiGNUM?
SiGNUM is Renishaw's high accuracy, non-contact 20 µm encoder system comprising of an Sr readhead and Si interface. It is sealed to IP64 and offers speeds up to 12.5 m/s and resolutions down to 5 nm and reads a variety of linear and rotary scales with IN-TRAC auto-phase optical reference marks. SiGNUM is extremely easy to use with calibration at the push of a button and free diagnostic software, yet it offers a level of performance previously available only from more delicate fine pitch encoders with an SDE of typically <±30 nm at temperatures up to +85 °C.
What is RESM ring?
RESM is a one-piece stainless steel ring with 20 µm pitch graduations marked directly on the periphery, featuring the IN-TRAC™ optical reference mark. Two versions are available in a wide range of sizes (Ø52 mm to Ø550 mm). ‘A' section rings, which offer an impressive installed accuracy, feature a taper mount system which reduce the need for highly toleranced machined parts and eliminate eccentricity. ‘B' section thin rings, which are low inertia and mass, are also available. Both 'A' and 'B' section rings have a large internal diameter for flexible integration. The non-contact format eliminates backlash, shaft wind-up (torsion) and other mechanical hysteresis errors that are inherent in traditional enclosed encoders.
Why choose this encoder system?
Motion control performance
Smoother velocity control and rock-solid positional stability of the motion system due to dynamic signal conditioning. Auto Gain Control (AGC), Auto Offset Control (AOC) and Auto Balance Control (ABC) generate incremental signals of exceptional fidelity. As a result, Sub-Divisional Error (SDE) is typically <±30 nm.
Ease of installation
Set-up LEDs on the readhead and interface give a visual indication of signal size and optional diagnostic software allows remote checking of system performance when the readhead is buried in the machine. Calibration of the reference mark and incremental signals is achieved at the push of a button with no mechanical adjustment or additional diagnostic tools. The IN-TRAC optical reference marks are embedded in the incremental scale for compact dimensions and simplified alignment. This yields a reference mark output that is bi-directionally repeatable to unit of resolution over the full operating temperature and speed range.
Combines rugged reliability with higher accuracy
SiGNUM is a 'recoverable readhead' that offers 'wipe clean' recovery from coolant splashes or floods. An IP rating of IP64, high immunity to water, oil and dust and operating temperatures of up to +85 °C and speeds of 12.5 m/s mean that SiGNUM is ideal for more challenging applications whilst offering performance comparable with fine pitch glass scales.
FANUC serial interface
- The FANUC serial compatible interface (Si-FN) offers FANUC serial communications direct from the interface for higher performance and easier connectivity .
- Available with three resolution options:
- Normal: 20 bit (0.0003 °) up to 4 500 rev/min;
- High Type A: 23 bit (0.000043 °) up to 1 200 rev/min;
- High Type B: 26 bit (0.0000054 ° or 0.02 arc second) up to
DSi (Dual Signal) interface
- Renishaw's DSi combines the incremental signals from two TONiC readheads on a RESM ring (REST ring for partial rotation applications) to compensate for the effect of bearing wander and eliminates odd error harmonics, including eccentricity to give total l installed accuracy of typically ±2.0 arc second.
Optional diagnostic software
SiGNUM software version 5.0 (released January 2012) - is required to optimise installation and set-up of SiGNUM rotary and linear encoders and provides a quick and comprehensive system calibration. The SiGNUM Si interface is connected to the PC via a mini USB cable and the software provides real-time diagnostics to simplify installation and system maintenance.
Find out all about the SiGNUM diagnostic software.
RESM: one-piece low profile stainless steel ring. Standard ‘A' section with tapered internal diameter or low inertia ‘B' section
Also available for partial rotation applications as REST
Readhead size (LxWxH)
36 mm x 16.5 mm x 14.8 mm
Ring outer diameter
52 mm to 550 mm. For larger custom sizes, contact Renishaw
8 192 to 86 400 (depending on ring size)
RESM: single IN-TRAC reference mark ring
REST: two reference mark ring for partial rotation applications
±3.97 to ±0.38 arc seconds (depending on ring diameter)
±4.28 to ±0.41 arc seconds (depending on ring diameter)
(See data sheet for details)
4 591 rpm at -3 dB (on 52 mm RESM)
4 591 rpm (5 μm resolution SiGNUM on 52 mm RESM)
Sub-Divisional Error (SDE)
Typically < ±30 nm
Dynamic signal control
Real time signal conditioning including Auto Gain Control (AGC), Auto Balance Control (ABC) and Auto Offset Control (AOC) for optimised performance during operation
(See data sheet for details of angular resolutions)
1 Vpp (20 μm period)
Resolutions from 5 μm to 5 nm
0.5 m, 1 m, 1.5 m, 3 m, 5 m and 10 m cable lengths with 14 pin connector (plugs directly into SiGNUM Si interface)
5 V ±10 %, <250 mA (typical) (unterminated)
100 m/s2max @ 55 Hz to 2 000 Hz
1 000 m/s2, 6 ms, ½ sine
Readhead: 0 °C to +85 °C
Interface: 0 °C to +70 °C
*System accuracy is graduation error plus SDE.Graduation accuracy is the maximum difference between the angle measured by a single readhead and the true rotation of the encoder as graduated. Application disturbances such as eccentricity are not included.
Refer to data sheets for full details.
Case study: The world’s No.1 semiconductor assembly & packaging equipment manufacturer benefits from Renishaw’s innovative products
ASM Pacific Technology Ltd (ASMPT), the world’s largest supplier of wafer assembly and packaging equipment for the semiconductor industry, aims to offer complete factory automation solutions and satisfy customers’ needs through its innovative and cost-effective products.
Case study: KMT Lidköping - Green energy giant grinds with micron precision
The massive KMT Lidköping VTG4000 grind-turn machine enables high precision wind turbine bearing production on a very large scale, with Renishaw encoders critical to accurate and rapid operation
Case study: Ultra-accurate lens measuring systems features advanced air bearing and encoder technologies
ABTech Manufacturing creates five-axis platform for nanometer/sub-arc second processing around its ultra-precision air bearings and Renishaw's SiGNUM position encoders.
- Installation drawing: RESM angle encoder
- Installation drawing: DSi
- 3D model: SiGNUM™ SR readhead
- 3D model: SiGNUM™ Si interface
- 3D model: RESx 52 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 57 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 75 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 100 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 103 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 104 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 150 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 200 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 206 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 209 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 255 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 300 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 350 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 413 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 417 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 550 mm A section ring
- 3D model: RESx 75 mm B section ring
- 3D model: RESx 100 mm B section ring
- 3D model: RESx 115 mm B section ring
- 3D model: RESx 150 mm B section ring
- 3D model: RESx 165 mm B section ring
- 3D model: RESx 200 mm B section ring
How it works
An infrared LED illuminates the scale which comprises alternating light and dark lines. SiGNUM features Renishaw's unique filtering optics, averaging the contributions from many bright scale graduations and effectively filtering out non-periodic features such as dirt. The nominally square-wave scale pattern is also filtered to leave a pure sinusoidal fringe field at the detector. Here, a multiple finger structure is employed, fine enough to produce photocurrents in the form of four symmetrically phased signals. These are combined to remove DC components and produce sine and cosine signal outputs with high spectral purity and low offset, while maintaining bandwidth to beyond 500 kHz.
Dynamic signal conditioning, comprising Auto Gain Control (AGC), Auto Offset Control (AOC) and Auto Balance Control (ABC) is applied inside the Si interface to generate incremental signals of exceptional fidelity. As a result, Sub-Divisional Error (SDE) is typically <±30 nm, i.e. 0.15 % of scale pitch. Interpolation is by CORDIC algorithm, within the SiGNUM Si interface.
The IN-TRAC reference mark is embedded in the incremental scale and is detected by a split photodetector within the readhead, yielding a reference mark output that is bi-directionally repeatable to unit of resolution at all speeds. This unique arrangement also benefits from an automated calibration routine that electronically phases the reference mark and optimises the incremental signals.