Installing a manual probe head
Fitting an M8-threaded CMM touch-trigger probe to a manual probe head
Fit an M8-threaded non-autojointed CMM touch-trigger probe to a manual probe head as described below:
- By hand, screw the threaded end of the touch-trigger probe into the M8 bush of the manual probe head and hand-tighten to secure.
- Fit the S1 ‘C' spanner (supplied) to the touch-trigger probe as shown below.
- Use the spanner to tighten the touch-trigger probe into the M8 bush.
The S1 'C' spanner is designed to break before any damage can occur to either the probe or the probe head due to over-tightening the probe.
Do not use any other tool to tighten the probe in the probe head as this could result in damage to both the probe and the probe head.
Fitting an autojointed CMM touch-trigger probe to a manual probe headThe repeatability of the Renishaw autojoint ensures that a probe need only be qualified once. The qualification data can then be recalled whenever the probe is re-attached.
Fit an autojointed CMM touch-trigger probe or PAA series adaptor to a manual probe head as described below:
1. Check that the locking cam on the autojointed probe is in the unlocked position (the slot is horizontal).
2. Offer up the autojointed probe to the PH6M, ensuring that the alignment marks on both the probe and the probe head are correctly aligned.
3. Insert the S10 joint key into the cam of the autojointed probe and rotate clockwise (120°) to lock the probe to the probe head.
Attaching a shank to a manual probe head (except PH6)
Renishaw products may incorporate either three or four tapped holes to facilitate fitting a shank. Renishaw shanks are supplied with five holes to allow either three-hole or four-hole products to be fitted to them.
Attach a Renishaw shank to a Renishaw manual probe head as described below:
- Locate the shank on to the top of the probe head.
- Align the holes within the shank with those within the probe head.
- Insert an M3 × 6 mm Allen cap screw into each of the three or four tapped holes and hand tighten using the 2.5 mm Allen key supplied.
|1||2.5 mm AF Allen key|
|2||M3 × 6 mm Allen cap screw|
The pin configuration and outputs are detailed below.
The PH6 has an integral cable and connector. This will conform to the CMM manufacturer's specification. If the connector on the attached cable has a 5-pin DIN connection then, subject to external verification, the cable pin outputs will be as specified below.
The PH6M is fitted with an integral 15-pin micro ‘D' socket. If required, this socket can be adapted by using a suitable cable to which a 5-pin DIN socket has been fitted.
Connecting a manual probe head electrically to a CMM
All Renishaw manual probe heads (except the PH6 and PH6M) have an integral 5-pin DIN female connector. This connector is compatible with the Renishaw moulded 5-pin plug that is fitted to all Renishaw manual probe head cables.