XK10 alignment laser system
Measure and align geometric and rotational axes on machine tools
The XK10 alignment laser system has been developed to measure geometric and rotational errors of machine tools. Used with the XK10 machine tool fixturing kit, it enables faster and easier measurements over traditional methods, such as dial gauges, autocollimators and metrology artefacts. It can be used on linear rails to ensure that they are straight, square, flat, parallel and level, as well as to assess spindle direction and coaxiality of rotary machines.
Measuring geometric and rotational errors during machine build, maintenance and service, enables accurate alignment and adjustment of machine axes to achieve optimum performance. This reduces time during machine assembly processes and on-site service, including regular maintenance or following a collision.
The XK10 can be used to measure and record a range of geometric error types using a single system. Live error readings allow adjustments to be made to the machine during the alignment process.
- The launch is the primary method of laser transmission for the majority of measurement types. It is used with the M unit for geometric measurements up to 30 m.
- The S unit and M unit contain both transmitters and receivers and can be set up in different configurations depending on the error type under test.
- The display unit is used to take and record measurements, as well as display live readings allowing for easy adjustment. Powered by a rechargeable battery, it allows portable operation up to 30 hours.
- The XK10 system includes a machine tool fixturing kit that has been designed specifically to improve repeatability and accuracy in measurements.
Key features and benefits
Configured to provide flexible measurement solutions for machine tools. The kit allows for variations in machine sizes and configurations.
- Rotating head - allows easy beam pointing from the launch unit with the capability to measure flatness using a series of grid points.
- Intuitive software - guides you through the setup and measurement process, quickly and easily.
- Create custom reports - straightness and parallelism analysis featured in CARTO Explore provides reliable results to check and correct machine alignment.
- Wireless connectivity - no cables ensures flexibility within the setup and measurement.
- Easy fixturing - designed for repeatable and accurate results and to reduce setup time.
- Flexibility - multiple measurements for different machine configurations from a single kit.
- Automatic analysis - immediate results following measurement, with live displays for adjustment.
XK parallelism kit
The XK parallelism kit is an additional accessory required to carry out parallelism measurements. It allows two nominally parallel straightness measurements to be carried out without moving the launch.
- Accurate - 90°deflection of the laser beam. Versatile adjustments allow ease of alignment.
An optional tripod mount kit is available for use with a tripod when there is no space to directly mount the launch.
Measure vertical and horizontal straightness along an axis with the XK10 alignment laser system.
Used during the machine build process to ensure accuracy when mounting and aligning stages and guideways.
Spindle direction measurement
XK10 measures the angle at which a spindle or chuck is pointing.
This can be used for any spindle or chuck alignment, to ensure that it points in the same direction through a full 360° rotation.
Find out how our customers are using our XK10 alignment laser to improve their measurement process.
Having worked with Renishaw on the development of the XK10, we have successfully replicated and introduced measurement techniques utilising the numerous features, which has allowed us to reduce our metrology equipment needs.
Crucially, the XK10's reference mount has allowed us to capture and record accurate machine profiles, without the need for a linear guide rail. Not only has this reduced evaluation time, but it has provided greater insight into a variety of key data, which in turn will further improve the repeatability and accuracy of our measurements.
Mazak Europe, UK
We have encountered challenges in the past with moving large and bulky granite squares during measurement, especially machine tools with long axes. XK10 alignment laser has a measurement range of 30 m, providing us with an easy and efficient solution for squareness, straightness, flatness and parallelism. Renishaw has a strong reputation in the field of metrology, ensuring customer confidence in the XK10's test reports supplied with the new machine.
Xiamen Takam Machinery Co., Ltd, China
Renishaw's XK10 alignment laser system provides a perfect solution. It not only significantly enhances our efficiency; it also guarantees the accuracy. During the demonstration performed by Renishaw's engineer, we were impressed that the XK10's results are comparable to component measurements on our CMM. XK10 is designed with wireless connectivity which offers great flexibility in the setup and measurement from a single kit. Furthermore, it provides intuitive reports, allowing our customers to understand the performance of their new Hurco machine.
Hurco Manufacturing Ltd, Taiwan
We reviewed a number of measuring systems to find a solution for applications that require precise alignment. Granite squares and dial gauges used for alignment take a long time to align and the measurement accuracy varies depending on the operator's experience. Large granite squares are also required to align long distances.
Among the various measuring systems, the Renishaw XK10 alignment laser system was easy to use, even for first-time users, thanks to its intuitive software and straightforward operation. Traditional measuring tools require a great deal of time for alignment, but after using the XK10, the equipment alignment time has improved by more than 50%. The alignment accuracy has also improved.
Until now, it was difficult to measure parallelism with a long shaft distance e.g., secondary battery manufacturing equipment, but the XK10 alignment laser system has solved this problem.