Machine tool probes for component setting and inspection
Renishaw probing systems provide an innovative solution to improve the efficiency of your machine tools.
Probing systems on CNC machining centres and lathes can be used to identify and set-up parts, measure features in‑cycle for adaptive machining, monitor workpiece surface condition and verify finished component dimensions.
Benefits of using a Renishaw inspection probe
Set a workpiece prior to machining
Probing eliminates the need for expensive fixtures and manual setting with dial indicators. Probes are spindle-mounted on machining centres and turret-mounted on turning centres, giving the following benefits:
- Reduced machine downtime
- Automatic fixture, job alignment and rotary axis set-up
- Manual setting errors eliminated
- Reduced scrap
- Increased productivity and batch-size flexibility
Inspect feature dimensions on-machine
Spindle and turret-mounted probes can also be used for in-cycle gauging and first-off inspection. Manual gauging relies on operator skill or the removal of parts to a CMM, which is not always practical. The benefits of inspection probing include:
- In-cycle part measurement with automatic offset correction
- Increased confidence in unmanned machining
- Adaptive machining, providing process feedback to minimise variation
- First-off inspection with automatic offset update
- Reduced machine downtime awaiting first-off inspection results
Technical specifications: Probing systems for CNC machine tools 2020
The type of probing system that you need will depend on your machine tool and the nature of the probing application. This document focuses on the main applications for probing on machine tools. It contains an introduction to the use of probing for each application, plus guidance on the selection of the most appropriate system and technical information about each probe.
Pocket guide: Pocket guide to probes for CNC machine tools
An easy to use pocket guide introducing Renishaw's range of probing solutions for CNC machine tools. Process control solutions.