Working with schools
As one of the worlds leading engineering and scientific technology companies, Renishaw offers a comprehensive range of early careers opportunities for young people including Engineering, Software and Commercial Apprenticeships as well as Placement and Graduate opportunities.
With the support of teachers across Bristol, Gloucestershire, South Gloucestershire, and South Wales, we want to encourage the next generation of students to find their passion for engineering and STEM careers.
Engaging students in STEM
Renishaw's STEM Outreach programme offers local schools a range of free activities designed to inspire young students to consider STEM careers and help them to understand more about engineering.
Our comprehensive STEM outreach activities are completely free and are aimed at Years 5 – 13 or equivalent. Our goal is to bring real-world context and added value to schools' science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) curricula.
Renishaw sees the importance of growing a future STEM talent pipeline of young people into their business and have therefore invested in a STEM Outreach team and have dedicated STEM centre facilities at their headquarters site at New Mills and at their Manufacturing site at Miskin, the STEM Outreach team is also complimented by more than 150 STEM Ambassadors from different roles across the business, including current graduates and apprentices. They all want to help students to see how great and achievable a career in engineering can be.
Our aims and objectives
- Raising awareness of Renishaw's opportunities for young people – promotion of work experience, apprenticeships, placements and our graduate scheme through careers events.
- Inspiring the next generation of engineers through STEM activities, visits and events.
- Supporting schools to meet Gatsby Benchmarks 5 and 6.
- Raising awareness of the breadth of careers within STEM.
- Encouraging more diversity within STEM sectors by actively engaging with underrepresented groups of students.
Events and activities we offer or support
- School workplace visits and workshops, hosted in our dedicated STEM inspiration centres at our New Mills and Miskin sites
- Work experience weeks promoting: Engineering, Software and Business and Marketing
- Careers Fairs
- Careers Talks
- School STEM Assembly Talks
- Technology Teardowns
- Open events including an annual information evening for young people and their parents/carers
- Events to celebrate International Women in Engineering Day
- STEM activity days/events/festivals
- Mock Interviews
- STEM workshops for Girlguiding and Scouting groups
- Employability events
Although we wish we could work with all schools, we only have the capacity to work with schools local to our New Mills headquarters site in Gloucestershire and our Miskin site in South Wales. If your school is approximately a 30-minute drive from either site please get in touch to book any of the above activities or click below to find more about school workplace visits and workshops, hosted in our dedicated STEM inspiration centres.
We are committed to improving diversity within STEM, so will work with groups outside of our target areas, with groups currently underrepresented within the industry or at a socio-economic disadvantage.