Workshops for Gloucestershire and Bristol region schools
Currently we aren't able to host primary school visits to New Mills, we do however to compensate for this, we sponsored STEMworks to run 100 K'NEX workshops around Gloucestershire in primary schools.
We also offer whole school or class (years 5 & 6) assemblies, which includes an introduction to engineering and an interactive science show, it lasts around 30 minutes and we just need a table for the science show and projector with sound fatalities (we can provide our own if needed). Please contact us to book a date or to find out more.
We can support at:
- Careers Fairs
- Workshops and School visits to Renishaw plc
- Career Talks / Assembly Talks
- Events promoting Women in Engineering
- STEM activity days
- Mock Interviews/Employability events
Workshops and School visits to Renishaw plc
Our workshops are completely free and can also be specifically tailored to meet individual school curriculum needs – we're here to help. We want students to discover the exciting world of engineering and really consider it as a future career option.
The workshops are suitable for students in key stage 3, 4 and 5 and will be adapted to suit the group we are hosting. All workshops will last between 2 – 3 hours, we have AM and PM sessions available and will take place in the Renishaw Innovation Centre, Renishaw plc, Wotton-under-Edge, Gloucestershire, GL12 8JR. Dates can be arranged to suit your school, applications can be made by requesting a date. Where possible we request that if schools would like to bring several groups they try and book it over consecutive days or ideally an AM and PM slot on the same day. The minimum number of students we will accommodate is 15 and the maximum is 35 for all workshops but the Technology Teardown where the maximum is 20 because of the nature of the activity. A downloadable PDF of the workshop options is available below.
Refreshments will be provided during the visit but unfortunately, we do not provide facilities for lunch. If appropriate, please inform us in advance if any students attending will need any additional support or special considerations and we will do our best to accommodate. Risk assessments for our visits and all of our activities are available upon request. Pupils must be accompanied by a qualified teacher whose subject is related to the workshop being held. We would encourage the teacher to be involved with the workshop as much as possible. During your visit please be mindful that the workshop will be taking place in our visitor centre, there may be staff meetings or customer visits taking place at the same time. We expect the teaching staff from your school that will be supporting the visit:
- By ensuring the students respect company property and are well behaved
- Always supervising the students including going to and from the toilets
- Supporting the Renishaw staff by getting involved with the activities we are running
We offer an extended visit to students studying engineering, the focus of the workshop is ‘Metrology' the science of Measurement' which is our business here at Renishaw. The workshop helps students to understand the importance of measurement and how it has impacted on advanced manufacturing techniques.
This visit lasts 4 hours and includes 3 Rotations:
- An extended Renishaw innovation centre product tour
- Learning about the importance of measurement
- Hands on equator workshop to understand more about gauging
What are the benefits to pupils attending this course?
- Learn about a local high technology engineering company and see their products in action.
- Understand the history and importance of measurement in manufacturing.
- Understand developments in design and technology, its impact on individuals, society and the environment, and the responsibilities of designers, engineers and technologists.
- Develop specifications to inform the design of innovative, functional, appealing products that respond to needs in a variety of situations.
- Work-related learning - collecting relevant information about opportunities available beyond key stage 4.
- Understanding different career pathways and the importance of attitudes, qualifications and skills to employers.
- The opportunity to experience different working environments.
Please contact us for more information or to book your visit.