XR20 rotary axis calibrator
Rotary axis positioning is critical to machine accuracy. The XR20 rotary axis calibrator provides rapid calibration of rotary axes, to ±1 arc second accuracy.
What is an XR20 rotary axis calibrator?
The XR20 rotary axis calibrator works in conjunction with XL-80 and XM-60 laser systems providing highly accurate, repeatable rotary axis calibration for stages, jigs and machine tools.
It consists of an integrated angular retroreflector mounted on a precision servo-controlled axis. The angular position of the axis, and the optics relative to the main body housing, is controlled by a very high accuracy encoder system with the scale directly machined on the main bearing.
Contact us to discuss your requirements
Our calibration product experts are available to discuss your application and help answer your questions.
Why choose the XR20 rotary axis calibrator?
- High accuracy - ±1 arc second using the XL-80 laser or ±1.2 arc second using the XM-60 multi-axis calibrator. (See error budget and uncertainty calculation below for further details).
- Wireless operation – powered by rechargeable batteries and integrated wireless connection using Bluetooth® low energy communication
- Auto calibration – pre-measurement calibration cycle compensates for angular alignment errors
- Pre-test cycles – automatic direction and feedrate detection
- Flexible and light weight – designed for single-handed easy fitment to a wide variety of rotary tables, lathes and other rotary axes
- Rapid testing - quick test setup and fast data capture
- Built-in alignment targets – minimises measurement errors during setup
Find out how our customers are using the XR20 rotary axis calibrator to improve their measurement process.
The XR20 rotary axis calibrator provides a fast and accurate solution for measuring rotary axes.
BOST Machine Tools (Spain)
With the features of the XR20 (easy and flexible setup due to its size and weight, wireless operation and user-friendly software), we have reduced our test setup time by 40% and test run time by 20%.
An added benefit is that wireless testing has allowed safer testing making supervision a non issue. As a result we do not disrupt shop floor activity, a great attraction to our operations and quality procedures.
Easy to use mounting options
Mounting the XR20 rotary axis calibrator to rotary axes is simplified using a range of modular mounts to suit different applications.
Centring on the axis is typically very simple, using the markings around the circumference of the mounting ring and the centration aid.
A mounting ring adaptor plate enables the XR20 rotary axis calibrator to be fitted to rotary tables with unsuitable centre recesses. It can also be used to secure the XR20 rotary axis calibrator to the chuck (lathe) adaptor and custom mounts.
Rotary axis calibration with the CARTO software suite
CARTO software suite is used for capturing data, analysis and rotary measurement using the XL-80 laser or XM-60 multi-axis calibrator. CARTO is made up of three applications:
- Capture to collect laser measurement data.
- Explore for powerful analysis to international standards.
- Compensate for quick and easy error correction.
The CARTO user interface provides a simple process flow that enables users to easily capture and manage their data.
Built in functions such as ‘automatic sign detection' and ‘first target pre-set' give confidence that collected data is right first time. This approach allows for greater productivity whilst using Renishaw calibration products.
Off-axis rotary measurement
Off-axis rotary measurement mode in the CARTO software suite provides a single source for testing off-axis measurement using the XR20 rotary axis calibrator with the XL-80 laser system or XM-60 multi-axis calibrator. This streamlines the measurement of rotary positioning accuracy for 5-axis machine tools, where the XR20 rotary axis calibrator cannot always be mounted on the centre of rotation.
The software outputs part programs for synchronised movement of rotary and linear axes to maintain beam alignment throughout the test.
XR20 90° bracket
The mounting of the XR20 rotary axis calibrator relative to the axis under test is vital for accurate measurement. Renishaw has developed the XR20 90° bracket to remove complexity of manufacture for the user. This accessory is manufactured to extremely fine tolerances required to achieve accuracy of testing.
Flexible fixturing options are provided by removable magnetic feet and a variety of through holes for direct bolt attachment. The bracket is useful for meeting the mounting requirements of 'off-axis' rotary measurements and resolving 'on-axis' mounting difficulties on trunion type machines.
For OEM users, full specifications for custom mounting manufacture can be found in the XR20 user guide.
- Brochure: XR20 rotary axis calibrator
- Application note: XR20-W spares list
- Application note: Error budget and uncertainty calculations: XR20-W rotary axis calibrator
- Data sheet: Traceability chart: Rotary axis calibrator
- Product note: Compliance of XR20 rotary axis calibrator with radio device regulations