XR20 rotary axis calibrator
Rotary axis positioning is critical to overall machine accuracy
Rapid calibration using XR20 provides up to ±1 arc second accuracy
It consists of an integrated angular retroreflector mounted on a precision servo-controlled axis. The angular position of the axis, and the optics relative to the main body housing, is controlled by a very high accuracy encoder system with the scale directly machined on the main bearing.
With the features of the XR20 (easy and flexible setup due to its size and weight, wireless operation and user-friendly software), we have reduced our test setup time by 40% and test run time by 20%.
An added benefit is that wireless testing has allowed safer testing making supervision a non issue. As a result we do not disrupt shop floor activity, a great attraction to our operations and quality procedures.
Features and benefits
- Flexible and light weight – designed for single handed easy fitment to a wide variety of rotary tables, lathes and other rotary axes
- High accuracy - ±1 arc second using XL-80 or ±1.2 arc second using XM-60. (See error budget and uncertainty calculation below for further details).
- Rapid testing - quick test setup and fast data capture
- Wireless operation – powered by rechargeable batteries and integrated wireless connection using Bluetooth® communication
- Built-in alignment targets – minimises measurement errors during setup
- Auto calibration – pre-measurement calibration cycle compensates for angular alignment errors
- Pre-test cycles – automatic direction and feedrate detection
- Feedrate - speeds of up to 10 rpm
Easy to use mounting options
Mounting the XR20 to rotary axes is simplified using a range of modular mounts to suit different applications.
Centring on the axis is typically very simple, using the markings around the circumference of the mounting ring and the centration aid.
As well as the standard mounting arrangement, a mounting ring adaptor plate enables the XR20 to be fitted to rotary tables with unsuitable centre recesses. It can also be used to secure the XR20 to the chuck (lathe) adaptor and custom mounts.
CARTO software suite is used for rotary measurement using XL-80 laser or XM-60 multi-axis calibrator and is made up of three applications:
- Capture to collect data and generate part programs.
- Explore to provide powerful analysis and create reports to international standards.
- Compensate to generate compensation files for improved positioning accuracy.
Off axis rotary software* provides a solution for five axis machine calibration where the XR20 rotary axis calibrator cannot be mounted on the machines rotational axis. The software outputs part programs for synchronised movement of rotary and linear axes to maintain beam alignment throughout the test.
*Only compatible with RotaryXL (XR20-W only), CARTO and LaserXL software
- Brochure: XR20 rotary axis calibrator
- Application note: XR20-W spares list
- Application note: Error budget and uncertainty calculations: XR20-W rotary axis calibrator
- Data sheet: Traceability chart: Rotary axis calibrator
- Product note: Compliance of XR20 rotary axis calibrator with radio device regulations